Ray Hylock, PhD
Associate Professor & Chair, Health Services and Information Management
4340D Health Sciences Building
- PhD, Informatics (Health Informatics concentration), University of Iowa, 2013
- MS, Informatics (Health Informatics concentration), University of Iowa, 2012
- BS, High Technology Management, California State University, San Marcos, 2007
- COHE 6430: Health Data Management
- COHE 6470: Health Information Privacy and Security
- COHE 6550: Health Informatics Project Design and Management
- COHE 6590: Health Data Analytics
- HIMA 6060: Health Informatics
- HSMA 4065: Management of Health Care Operations and Patient Flow
- PUBH 8463: Health Information Systems
My research primarily focuses on theoretical and computational advancements to support patient care in the areas of health care databases/data warehouses, federation, advanced data structures, optimization, and heuristics. It is the application of computer and data science principles to the health domain. Current research includes a new storage paradigm for heterogeneous data, federated query optimization, optimal off-target detection with IUPAC and unbounded mismatch support (bioinformatics), a rewritten JDK/JVM (Java) to improve address space and memory performance in HPC environments, and research on how best to instruct health care management-oriented students computer and information science materials.
I am interested in the technological aspects of health informatics and information management. For instance, database systems, data integrity, privacy and security, project design and management, software engineering, and pedagogy.
Honors and Awards
- 2018: East Carolina University Scholar-Teacher Award.
- 2016: Dean’s Award for Outstanding Performance in Teaching, College of Allied Health Sciences.
Professional Experience (Academic Experience)
|July 2021-Present||Department Chair, Health Services and Information Management, East Carolina University|
|July 2019-Present||Associate Professor, Health Services and Information Management, East Carolina University|
|August 2016-December 2018||Program Director, Health Care Administration Graduate Certificate, East Carolina University|
|July 2013-June 2019||Assistant Professor, Health Services and Information Management, East Carolina University|